Frequently Asked Questions

  • Online

    It's easy to register online! Just click the link by the class or program and follow the instructions. We accept the following forms of payment online:

    VISA, Master Card, American Express, or Discover

    By Phone

    • Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    • VISA, Master Card, American Express, Discover, or P.O. only.
    • Call (805) 756-2053

    In Person

    • Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    • Check, money order, VISA, MAster Card, American Express, Discover or P.O.
    • Cal Poly, Building 52 - Room E-34 (Science Building)
  • Go to the Cal Poly web site map directory at maps.calpoly.edu

  • Information about parking services, rules and regulations can be found on the Parking Information page.

  • The grading system used by the California State University system applies to Cal Poly Extended Education academic credit or CEU courses. Your grades are available the Wednesday after finals week by going to your portal at my.calpoly.edu.

  • Please call our office to verify if you can receive a transcript for your class. More information on transcripts can be found by going to https://registrar.calpoly.edu/transcript_orders or calling the Records Office at (805) 756-2531.

  • Textbooks may be purchased at the University Store on the Cal Poly campus or online at the University Store website. Hours of operation are listed here.

  • Information regarding Cal Poly Extended Education's withdrawal and refund policy can be found on the Policies page.

  • Information regarding Cal Poly Extended Education's late registration fees can be found on the Policies page.

  • Fees cannot be waived for Extended Education, Open University, or Special Session courses. More information on fee waivers can be found here: https://afd.calpoly.edu/hr/fee_waiver/

  • Cal Poly Extended Education offers you the opportunity to participate in an academic credit course without receiving a grade. The same fees apply. You will need to request an optional grade of audit in addition to registering for the course: Here

  • You will receive a registration confirmation by email, which will include the class location and a campus map. Campus maps, directions and parking information can be found at maps.calpoly.edu

  • A record of your attendance at a course, conference, workshop or seminar is available. You may request the documentation individually or your instructor may request it for all class participants.

  • Course numbers 100-599 represent academic credit courses at Cal Poly. With the approval of your academic advisor, you may apply up to a maximum of 36-quarter units of undergraduate extension credit toward your baccalaureate degree. Credit courses quantify and measure the learning or proficiency of the individual attending the course. Testing and grading are required along with specified hours of instruction. Ten hours of lecture is equal to one-quarter unit of credit, twenty hours of activity is equal to one-quarter unit of credit and thirty hours of lab work is equal to one-quarter unit of credit. Cal Poly Extended Education will record all credit quarter units and grades in the campus Student Information System and you may request a Cal Poly transcript.

  • In order to change your personal information, please contact us for the form. If Cal Poly records exist under a different name, we will contact you.

  • Contract credit option may be available to an agency or association desiring credit for employees or members. The agency agrees to provide all arrangements and cover all expenses connected with the course. Cal Poly Extended Education will charge a per unit fee and will verify approval of the course and instructor through university procedures, process enrollment and grades through the campus Student Information System and record credit, according to campus regulation.

  • One CEU = ten contact hours of participation in organized extended education/training experience under responsible, qualified direction and instruction (definition of the International Association for Continuing Education and Training-IACET). Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are based on the number of sixty-minute contact hours for a course or program. (Example: If a course or program meets ten contact hours, you will receive one CEU.) To receive CEUs, you must be present for the entire course or program.

    Earned CEUs may be useful in maintaining certification or licensing. They may also document your continuing professional education for an employer, association or credentialing agency. CEUs are for non-credit courses or programs. They cannot be converted to quarter or semester hour credit and they cannot be applied to degree programs. If you have questions about CEUs, please contact Cal Poly Extended Education. CEUs are not rewarded retroactively.

  • Certificate program courses provide you with skill requirements in a particular career field. Cal Poly Extended Education will award a Certificate of Achievement when you complete a certificate program.

  • State law requires that Cal Poly Extended Education as an entity of the California State University System must be self-supported. Taxpayer-generated funds do not provide support to Cal Poly Extended Education

    Please note: In the event that you need to withdraw from a course or Extended Education cancels a course, fees that have been paid by credit card will be credited back to the card and should appear on the next monthly statement, while fees paid by check will be refunded by check, a process that may take 8 weeks or more.

    Each campus determines course fees based upon the cost of instruction and supplies for each program or course. Course requirements determine the fee for each non-credit course.

    Without exception, students are required to pay all outstanding debt before registering for an upcoming term. Students who receive a financial aid refund (loans, grants and/or scholarships) are advised to confirm that all charges to date have been paid in full.

    Extended Education reserves the right, even after initial fee payment is made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular quarter, intersession and/or class has begun.

  • Extended Education reserves the right to cancel, reschedule, or combine courses; to alter and discontinue curricula; and to change instructors.

    Because Extended Education receives no state tax support, programs and courses may be canceled at the first scheduled class if fewer than the required minimum number of students enroll. If a course is canceled or rescheduled, you may request a refund. Transfers can only be made for courses of equal or lesser value, unless the difference is paid by the student.

  • If you have permanent or temporary disabilities, the Cal Poly Disability Resource Center can provide information and assistance to you in support of your participation in Cal Poly Extended Education courses. For more information, please contact the Disability Resource Center at (805) 756-1395 (voice or TDD) or drc.calpoly.edu.

  • Library access is available for students enrolled in academic credit classes. Please go to the Robert E. Kennedy Library website for information and instructions on how to get a library card.

  • Cal Poly is an equal opportunity/affirmative action university and is committed to the principles and practices outlined in applicable federal, state and California State University policies. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, or mental or physical disability in any of its employment practices or educational programs. Cal Poly protects the rights of its students and employees to learn and work in a nurturing atmosphere free from sexual harassment, racial harassment or any other acts that would create a hostile campus environment. SeeTitle IX - Office of Equal Opportunity, Cal Poly

  • If you are enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program or are taking courses to acquire or improve job skills, you may qualify for a Hope Scholarship or Lifetime Learning Tax Credit. The Hope Scholarship tax credit is available only to students in their first two years of post-secondary education who are enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program. The Lifetime Learning tax credit is available to students at all educational enrollment levels who are enrolled in an eligible educational institution. The tax credits are based on the amount of qualified tuition and fees, less grants and other tax-free education assistance. Eligibility for both the Hope and Lifetime Learning credits is limited to tax filers whose modified adjusted gross income falls below $50,000 for single and $100,000 for joint filers. Hope credits apply to fees paid after December 31, 1997 and the Lifetime Learning credit applies to fees paid after June 30, 1998. Consult IRS Publication 970 or your tax preparer for additional information.

    To apply for the tax credit, you must report the amount of tuition and fees paid as well as the amount of certain scholarships, grants, and untaxed income used to pay the tuition and fees. Cal Poly will send you a 1098T form with 1) the name, address, and taxpayer ID number of the school; 2) the name, address and taxpayer ID of the student for whom tuition was paid; 3) whether the student was enrolled at least half-time; and 4) whether the student was only in a graduate-level program, by January 31, for each tax year. Use this information and your own records to complete the IRS Form 8863 and claim a tax credit. If you have questions, talk to a tax advisor for help. If you do not receive a 1098T form, you can access your Cal Poly form by going to 1098T.com.

  • When you register for a program, we collect personal and business information such as name, mailing and e-mail addresses, telephone number, gender, age, birthdate, and credit card information for payment purposes.

    The information we collect is used solely for university purposes such as maintaining accurate student records and keeping you informed about university programs and services. This information may only be released to a court or government agency if required by law.

  • This notice was included with the credit offer: "The fine print: You can apply this credit one time to the registration fee for any Extended Education course you choose, and it is valid for one year. This credit cannot be combined with any other credits, discounts, or offers."